Friday, January 23, 2009

Little Ways

Sometimes it feels like I’m really not following The Little Way anymore, but when I actually stop and review I realize that I am indeed not following it but rather living it! I don’t know if I can explain what I mean very well, but basically, things that need to be cleaned and projects that need to be done are done. I haven’t met every self-imposed deadline or standard but rather they are done in God’s time.

I know I’m a control freak. I’ve always been a very organized person and so, for many years it was all or nothing for me. If I didn’t have things perfect, they were chaos, at least in my mind. Little by little, I learn to let go of this control and to offer my efforts to God.

When I started writing My Sisters, I used to struggle horribly with laundry. On any given day you might find piles on the laundry room floor waiting to be washed. Over the years, with many repeated offerings, God has transformed my ways. I would not go so far as to say that I love laundry, but we have a system in place that seems to work well for getting the clothes clean. I’m still working on getting them folded and put away as quickly as I should, but all those baby steps, led to one big transformation in that area of our lives.

Day by day, I notice little difference, but in looking back over longer periods of time I can see change. I can also see many other areas I need to get busy making more offerings and that’s why I know that I’ll be living the Little Way the rest of my life.

“We can accomplish no great things, only small things with great love.” --Blessed Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment